Corning Buggy

Corning Buggy
c. 1900

Collection:

Mrs. Elizabeth J. Carruthers

Description:

Developed in the late 19th century, the Corning Buggy was first built in New York in 1875 by Brewster and Company.  The Buggy is named for Erastus Corning, the first person to purchase one.  This pleasure vehicle, when made with an enclosed top and equipped with side curtains providing protection from the weather, was sometimes used as a doctor’s phaeton.  The boot, a storage compartment located behind the seat, is equipped with a patent leather covered lid.

Henry Hooker and Co.
Enterprise Carriage Manufacturing Co.